One of the most powerful marketing tools that high school athletes have to get the attention of a college coach is the athlete or highlight video.
College coaches today are busy. They are being contacted by hundreds if not thousands of high school athletes at a time. If you think about it, a 2 or 3 minute video of your athletic ability helps the coach better manage his or her time. And, your video needs to draw them in immediately so that they keep watching and hopefully ask you to come visit their campus.
Here are some tips for creating an impactful highlight video to support your college recruiting strategy:
- Make sure first of all that you have high quality video of your athletic abilities. Ideally, this should be game footage. If you don’t have game footage, then try to think of drills that you can do which will show a coach what you are capable of.
- Plan a 2 – 3 minute video which highlights the skills required of your position. If you’re a running back, show highlights of not only your running, but your blocking, catching a pass out of the backfield, etc. If you are a shortstop, show your skills in the field, at the plate, base running, etc.
- Only show the best plays and edit the video so the coach doesn’t have to wait long to see your plays.
- Purchase a high quality video editing software package so that you set yourself above the crowd.
- Ideally, you would want to upload your video to your own website so that it is part of an integrated marketing platform where the coach can learn more about you.
We can help you with your video and your athlete website for that matter! Just send us a note and we will be happy to help. Our websites are only $4.95 per month and our professional videos start at just $149.
If you would like to see one of our videos live, please visit these sites to get an idea of what we can do for you:
Good luck with your college recruiting efforts!